Friday, March 11, 2011

fleur de plumes Flower Tutorial

Happy Friday everyone! Once again I have the pleasure of being a part of this fabulous DT here at SOUS. I would like to show you a fun new flower I've created...come on, let's play!
To make this flower you will need:
Offray Garbo ribbon, measures 5/8in or 15.8mm (it is very important to use ribbon that has a satin center with a sheer edge to achieve the flower I am making today, this one is Offray's Garbo, I purchased it at WalMart).
brads
eyelet punch
something with the widths of 3 inches and 2 1/2 inches (I have used a ruler and a scrap of lightweight cardboard)
buttons, bling (anything you would like for flower centers)
scissors
First, I've wrapped ribbon around my ruler 4 times. One of the ribbons I've wrapped tightly and the other loosely. Second, I've wrapped ribbon around the cardboard 3 times. (you can tape the ribbon so that it is easier to handle when sliding off the ruler if you like)
Then punch each ribbon loop in the center and place on a brad from smallest to largest. (the loose ribbon would be considered the largest)
Now you should have something like this.
Fan out all the 'petals' like so.
Snip each 'petal' down the center as close to the brad as possible.
Can you see your flower taking shape?
Now the fun part...pull the fibers apart in the center of each petal.
I think it looks so heavenly!
All you have to do now is chose a center for your flower, I had an old necklace that I took this metal flower from. Viola...you have a flower that is so dreamy and feathery. I chose the name, fleur de plumes, because it means feather flower in french, I think it suits it perfectly!
So...you could stop here or...you know me...gotta add some more details!
If you chose to add some additional flair use a two inch circle as a base to add the fun. I've cut my circles with my cricut from some neutral card stock. For this flower I've added some tiny pearls and some feathers. Apply hot glue to the items, a bit to the circle and place you flower on top.
Just a bit more pizazz, don't you agree?
I'd like to share a few more of my flowers with you. For the green flower I've cut the 'loops' so the flower lays flat.
I had some really fun antique earrings and decided to use one for the flower center on this black flower.
For the orange flower I've cut a flower with my circut, water distressed the layers, added beads to the center and finally, glossy accents to hold them in place. The black flower is a loop wrapped 6 times around the 2 1/2 cardboard strip, I added a decorative brad to the center. (a great way to use up the left over bits of ribbon)
This pink one is my original prototype...LOL...I've added feathers, a button, a circle of tiny pearls and some white sequins.
This red flower has a pair of silver leaf earrings dangling from the bottom for a little twist. The beads on the purple flower are actually a snip from a beaded eyeglass cord.
I would like to mention that my items were very easy to come by. I live in a small town with limited shopping and I have to get creative so just a few notes. I purchased dream catchers from the $1 Tree and was able to get lots of feathers from them. Also from the $1 Tree, beaded eyeglass cords to use as accents. Thrift stores and flea markets are great for old jewelry. WalMart carries the ribbon in a variety of colors and also has the tiny pearls and sequins.
I hope I've inspired you to try this, it was so much fun playing around this week and coming up with this idea. Please stop by my blog Details by Sandy and let me know what you've made. I'd love to see what you come up with!
Thanx to the DT for having me again!
Have a blessed week...Hugs,
Sandy

29 comments:

  1. Oh my word Sandy!! These are stunning! Wow!! I am leaving for vacation in a few hours but you can be sure when I get back, I will be making a few of these! Thanks for showing us how!! Glad to see you sharing your scrapbooking secrets again... we have missed you!
    barb :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow these are amazing!! thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow!! those flowers are AMAZING!! love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful......I can't wait to make some.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome .. can't wait to go shopping for the ribbon .... TFS .. luv X:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!! These flowers are awesome! Thanks for showing us how!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow oh WOW!!! These are simply stunning!! Awesome work, I love them! Thanks so much for sharing, I will be going shopping in the morning for ribbon and supplies, I was wondering where you got your feathers, dream chatchers...who would have thought that! Clever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sandy, these are some of the most beautiful handmade flowers I have seen - you are truly inspirational - hope you're going to 'hang' around for a while... Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome flower and tutorial. Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. O-M-G Sandy
    Sooooo GORGEOUS, I am really going to try this looks so elegant and chic. You are too talented my friend...great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhh Sandy they are soooo beautiful....thank you for sharing!!!!
    hugs
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  12. holy moly! this is absolutely gorgeous and thank you soooooooooooo much for sharing this!

    hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful tutorial! I am going to give these a try
    Hugs,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holy Canoly, these are absolutely breath taking.. I'm so hitting up the local ribbon store and gonna have a go at these ASAP..
    thanks for sharing these with us lucky ladies..
    hugs
    Nanné

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely stunning, Sandy! Thanks so much for such a terrific and original idea! Can't wait to try my hand at these! Hugs, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  16. those are gorgeous Sandy! I'm gonna have to give these a try! just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Shut up! At first looking at these I had no idea it was something so simple! Who would have guessed? Sandy, these are so inspiring...thank you so much for sharing these!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing and oh so gorgeous, and yes, dreamy, too!!! I love these and they aren't hard to make at all!!! But they look like a million dollars!!! Very elegant and classy!!!! I'm so glad you shared this with us!!! Have a wonderful weekend!!! Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. They're gorgeous, your flowers! Reminds me of a tutorial I did a few months ago, only I didn't make as many :-)
    ribbon flowers
    Take care, have a great weekend, Ira

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very pretty! And neat!!! thanks for sharing!!

    I left you an award on my page!

    http://www.paperandi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! How completely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous flowers Sandy!!! Thanks for sharing! I will definitely give this a try!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. THIS AWESOME FLOWER THANKS FOR SHARING THE TUTORIAL!!! ANGELA

    ReplyDelete
  24. More good stuff every time I visit. I want to share you with the world, so I'm presenting you a Stylish Blogger award! Details are on my blog at http://savingmine.blogspot.com/2011/03/easter-eggs-and-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi can i ask what width ribbon you have used on these is it 1 cm ?
    thanks eve

    ReplyDelete
  26. HiGirlz...I have added the measurement of the ribbon to the tut and sent the info to Eve...hope that helps...thanx for all the luv...glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Sandy thanks heaps for dropping by my blog with the info i requested ...Hmmmm i am having trouble getting this ribbon here in Australia so if any aussie girls know wher i can source it drop by my blog and let me know ...
    Thanks a million sandy xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are GORGEOUS!!! I loove them, thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and for leaving a comment. We highly appreciate it.. We all hope you have a great and creative day..