Friday, April 22, 2011

April 22nd Tutorial ~ Two-Toned Background

Hi everyone!! Fern here, and I've got an easy way to make your own two toned (or you can use more colors if you want) background for your layout or project..  I did this when I was making cards and thought to myself, why wouldn't it work on a large piece of scrapbook paper?!!  So the next time you can't find the right color of paper to go with that special photo, or maybe you want more of a vintage look, you might want to give this a try..   I will apologize right now for the photos..  They were taken inside and the lighting was a little to be desired... 

Things you will need:
2 Colors of  Inks -  I used Stampin' Up Classic Ink ~ Always Artichoke and Elegant Eggplant
Light Colored Cardstock - I used Stampin' Up Very Vanilla Cardstock
Spray Mister filled with water
Heat Tool
Crumpled piece of Plastic or Wax Paper  - I used Plastic
And finally something to put under you cardstock so you won't get ink/water all over the counter.. I used a couple of plastic bags..


1)  Take the lightest Ink color and rub it all over the cardstock, but leaving some white spaces...


2) If you are using Craft Inks or Pigment Inks you will need to use your heat tool to heat set the color..

3)  Take the second color and rub it over the first color letting some of the first color show through..


4)  Now, mist the whole sheet with water..


5) Now take the piece of plastic and start dabbing the watered ink, moving the inks to add color variations. 
If you don't like what you see, go ahead and touch it up.. 

Once the desired look is achieved, set the ink with the heat tool.. Use as desired.. 
Be sure and click on above photo and the following photos to get a better look!!
Here is a layout I did using this piece of cardstock...  I took this photo outside so the colors are much brighter!!


Now I also did another page using the SU Very Vanilla Cardstock, but this time I used Tim Holtz Antique Linen, Tim Holtz Tea Dye, Tim Holtz Worn Lipstick and SU Pretty In Pink...  I first rubbed the Antique linen on the cardstock,, sprayed it with water... then crumpled the cardstock, flattened it out and rubbed the Pretty In Pink, then a little TH Tea Dye and just a very little TH Worn Lipstick... sprayed with water again.... dabbed the the colors and then heat set...  Here's what it looks like...

You can see the layout I did with this background here...
I hope you will try this technique and if you do I would love to see how it turned out!!!
Thanks so much for stopping by!!

If you want the list of things I used on this layout just visit my blog.
Have a wonderful day !!! :o)
Happy Easter Everyone!!!
Hugs!!

8 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Fern.. That is a fab idea!! Definitely gonna give this a try, I love playing with paper and seeing what all can be done with it to achieve different looks.. and by the way, I love those photos and the title on your layout, thats so super cute, put an instant smile on my face..
    thnx for sharing this awesome idea with us girls..
    Hugs
    Nanné

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Nanne
    This is a Fab idea I love how it turned out and for a dummy like me it is a no brainer ....lol This way you can match the colors perfect!I did this with ink but never tried to spray with water to mix it . I am gonna give this a try.
    Thanks so much for sharing
    Hugs Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful projects!
    And really...how right are you! We do this thing for cards but never take it to the bigger sheets and why not...it turns out terrific and to custom make the paper colors for your photos like in your LO! Its awesome!
    The project is amazing and those photos such a treat!

    Wonderful tute!!!

    And Happy Easter everyone!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fern, what a great project! I love working with inks and mists, so this is right up my alley. Thanks for teaching us a few tricks of the trade! Happy Easter! I'm off to get some last minute things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a fun tutorial- love that you can use your favorite colors this way.
    Your layout is adorable as can be- perfect title
    blessings Dawn ll

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow..amazing... I love this tutorial and the cute card!!! This design is fabulous.I love this flowers set,its gorgeous.Thanks for this great card.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome technique...can't wait to give it a try. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and for leaving a comment. We highly appreciate it.. We all hope you have a great and creative day..